Moving house can be stressful – although apparently not as stressful as flying?. But here is a handy checklist to help you remain calm and in control throughout the stages of your house move:
4 weeks to move day
- Arrange and confirm your house removal date as far in advance as possible. Book a Moving House Survey.
- Prepare a list of fixtures you are leaving in the house
3 weeks to move day
2 weeks to move day
- Dismantle self-assembly furniture
- Arrange for professional disconnection of kitchen appliances
- Arrange to have your gas, electricity, telephone and water meters read
- Start using everything up in your freezers.
- Clear the loft unless your removal company is doing this for you
- Get sheds, greenhouses etc dismantled
- Drain fuel from lawnmowers/motor cycles
- Take down any fixtures you are taking with you
- Ideally make arrangements for children to be looked after on move day – Read our Moving with Kids Guide
- Treat any fabrics that you are placing into store with an anti-moth treatment
- If you are moving in or out of a block of flats, arrange to have use of the lift
1 day before move day
- Have TV aerials or satellite dishes taken down if they are part of the move
- Disconnect any light fittings you are taking
- Seal packets and tighten jars of food
- Defrost refrigerator and freezer.
- Prepare plants for transit - View our Moving your Garden Guide
- Chests of drawers may be left full depending on the make of your furniture
- Set aside an area marked “DO NOT MOVE” for coats, handbags, kettle, snacks, tools and cleaning materials
- Arrange separate transportation for any dangerous substances
On move day
- Lock your valuables somewhere safe and carry them personally with you to your new home
- If you are putting anything into storage, remember to retain important items – passport, driving license, etc.
- Before the removal van leaves, check your entire home to make sure that nothing has been forgotten.
- Ensure that the crew have directions to your new house and a phone number to contact you.
- Arrive at your new property, with the keys, before the removal van
- Direct the crew to position your furniture and effects in your new house.
If you would like a comprehensive list, then download our Moving House Checklist pdf.
We are always happy to ask any questions about moving house, simply contact us.