Don’t stress out about your house move. A little bit of pre-planning is all that is required to make your move seem less daunting.
Here are some removal industry secrets and knowledge to help you get set for any move.
- Decide on a moving date and stick to it.
- Never leave the sorting and packing to the last minute, this should be done at least 2 weeks before the move. If you can, start earlier as this gives you time to properly ‘spring clean’.
- When selecting a removals company – choose carefully and call them as early as you can, as the good companies get booked up very quickly.
- Remember to inform your gas, water and electricity supplier about your move and pay all final bills.
- Tell the council you are moving in regards to your council tax.
- Start dismantling the big pieces of furniture as soon as you can – it will also give you more space when wrapping and packing other items.
- Keep liaising with your removals firm, estate agents and solicitors to ensure everything is running smoothly.
- Go to the post office and arrange for your post to be forwarded to the new address.
- Defrost the freezer.
- Get some old blankets to lie under your packing boxes as this will protecting your flooring both at your old and new home.
- Put all valuable and personal documents in a safe and secure place and carry them personally to your new home once the day arrives.
- Make sure all doors and windows are locked as you move.
- Make sure your removal crew have the correct details of your new home, and meet them there with the keys.
Following these short but simple guidelines will go a long to keeping your move stress free.
For more advice for a stress-free move, download our useful moving house checklist - it's free.