The History of Bishop's Move
Bishop & Sons’ Depositories was established in 1854 by Joseph James Bishop, who was a labourer from Norfolk and who came to London to join Robert Peel’s newly established police force. J.J. as he was known, left the police force after a short time and opened a green grocers in Elizabeth Street, London SW1 from where he developed the business to include moving household furniture and effects. This soon evolved to become a general cartage and removals business, with a small yard in what was then the village of Pimlico, SW1.
J.J. operated a farm in Morden and used this land to grow feed and rest the horses. He purchased premises on Hugh Street off Belgrave Road in SW1, which gave J.J. the perfect opportunity to grow the business as Victoria Station had just been built.
Over the years, the company evolved and always appeared to have members of the family within the business to ensure a smooth transition to the next generation. During these years, many potential family members learned their trade working for competitors and it is now the largest privately family owned removals company in the UK.
The 6th generation of Bishop’s continue to be involved in all aspects of the day to day running of the removals company. Their roles are: Chairman, ICT Director, International Director, Business Development Director, Marketing Manager and Online Marketing Manager.
Today, J.J’s small general cartage and removals business, has become the UK’s largest family owned removal company with over 20 branches across the UK, and Europe, and offering removals services incorporating all aspects of moving house, business relocation, international shipping and secure storage – both warehouse and self-store.