Download our Moving House Checklist
Using Bishop’s Move will ensure that your move is successful and stress-free. However, there are a few things that you can do to make your move simpler, and these are:
A month before you move
- Arrange and confirm your removal date as far in advance as possible.
- Prepare a list of fixtures you are leaving.
- Up to three weeks ahead
- Sort out the contents of your garage.
- Organise suitable transport for pets or someone to look after them on the day.
Up to two weeks ahead
- Dismantle self-assembly furniture, unless we have agreed to do this for you.
- Arrange for professional disconnection of kitchen appliances, including your washing machine so that the drum is secured.
- Arrange to have the gas, electricity, telephone and water meters read.
- Start running down freezers. We advise against moving freezers (full or frozen).
- If you require yours moved with food inside, wrap the contents in newspaper, boxes or trays. Full or frozen freezers are moved at your own risk.
- Clear the loft unless we have agreed to do so.
- Dismantle sheds, greenhouses etc. unless we have agreed to do this for you.
- Drain fuel from lawnmowers/motor cycles.
- Remove any fixtures and fittings you are taking.
- If appropriate, arrange for children to be looked after. (Please read our Guide to Moving with Kids)
- Fabrics that are being stored will benefit from anti-moth treatment.
- If moving in or out of a block of flats, arrange to have the manual override key or priority use of the lift the day before your move.
- Have TV aerials or satellite dishes taken down if they are part of the move.
- Disconnect any light fittings you are taking.
- Seal packets and tighten jars of food.
- Defrost refrigerator and freezer. (If you don’t intend to empty the freezer, please read our earlier advice).
- Prepare plants for transit. (Please read our Guide to Moving your Garden)
- Chests of drawers may be left full depending on the make of the furniture.
- Set aside an area marked “do not move” for coats, handbags, snacks, tools and cleaning materials.
- Arrange separate transportation for any dangerous substances.
On the day of your move
- Lock your valuables somewhere safe and carry them personally to your new home.
- Make sure your pets are safely out of the way. (Read our Guide to Moving your Pets)
- If requested, we will take up fitted carpets and lay them on the floors of your new home.
- If possessions are being stored, remember to retain mportant items – passport, driving licence, etc.
- Do not put perishable or flammable items in storage.
- Before the removal van departs, check nothing has been forgotten. Responsibility is yours to see nothing
is moved in error.
- Ensure that our crew has directions to your new property and a phone number to contact you.
- Agree a time of arrival.
- Arrive at your new property, with the keys before the removal van.
If you need any further moving house advice, please do not hesitate to contact us on 0800 107 8422 or make an enquiry.